Hello there everyone ! Well, this is just a random blog where will I share my thoughts, things I've read over books, magazines and blogs. I'm not really a verbose person. But, writing makes me happy, so I'd go for it ! I'll be updating this blog as frequent as I could. So, join me here, "These Dreams" ! Thanks. xo

Blog Archive

Friday, February 1, 2013

Earth's Newest Neighbour.

  Our earth's newest neighbour, Alpha Centauri is only 4.3 lightyears away, and the planet found orbiting one of it's three stars are nearly earth-sized, with an estimated mass of 1.13 times that of our planet. This is the first planet to be found similar to our Earth around a similar star like ours.

 Other discoveries state that, if a star is orbited by a
small planet, it is likely to host others. So the Alpha Centauri system could easily have a planet within it's habitable zone, the distance from the star at which water can exist on a planet's surface - often considered a prerequisite for life.

  It is unlikely the planet that's just have been discovered will be occupied - it is so close its star, Alpha Centauri B, that is surface will be scorched.




Source : Knowledge, Vol 5 Issue 1, page 18 "Meet Earth's Newest Neighbour"

1 comment: