Hello there everyone ! Well, this is just a random blog where will I share my thoughts, things I've read over books, magazines and blogs. I'm not really a verbose person. But, writing makes me happy, so I'd go for it ! I'll be updating this blog as frequent as I could. So, join me here, "These Dreams" ! Thanks. xo

Blog Archive

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Restriction on GM food

Beta-lactoglobulin
    A cow has been genetically modified to produce milk lacking a protein that causes some allergic reactions. Beta-lactoglobulin is found in cow's milk, but not in human milk, researches found. This can cause diarrhea and nausea in some toddlers. But now it has been eliminated from the milk of a cow in New Zealand using a technique called RNA interference.

  Back in 2006, scientists found that a short piece of genetic material called microRNA interferes with messenger RNA, which carries the instructions to create beta-lactoglobulin. So they added DNA that encodes the production of this protein blocking microRNA into cow embryos. Out of roughly 100 embryos, one calf produced milk free of beta-lactoglobulin.

  Ironically, the researchers are unable to taste the milk from their hypoallergenic cow - drinking it is prohibited under New Zealand law. In fact, almost no genetically modified animal has been approved for comsumption by regulatory authorities around the world.

Source : Knowledge, Vol 5 Issue 1 , page 20 "Should restrictions on GM food be loosened?"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. This is really awesome. Keep going on. I really love your posts. You're giving such awesome information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments and support, Stalwart ! <3 :D

      Delete